In case you missed it, I'm participating in the blogging event #AMonthofFaves throughout the month of December. Read all about it here, and be sure to visit the hosts' blogs (and the other participants'!).
Today's theme is:
5 Popular Books Worth the Hype
...and it just so happens that I've read quite a few popular books this year that I thought were well worth the buzz. So many, in fact, that it was tricky to pick just five, but I think I'm happy with how I've narrowed it down. Let me know what you think!
1. The MartianThis book received a lot of hype when it was released, and even more when the film came out earlier this year. I absolutely loved it and thought it was worth all the hype 100%. Even my brother thought it was great, and he doesn't even read that much! So there you go.
2. The Great GatsbyThis is an incredibly famous book, so it was difficult to know how to prepare myself to read it. I think the way I did it - a spontaneous decision without any forethought - was the best way I could have chosen. For me, it definitely lived up to its reputation and I'm really keen to read more Fitzgerald in the future.
3. A Game of ThronesThis book is absolutely everywhere! It was recommended specifically to me by my brother (he even bought it for me!), which is high praise indeed from such a sporadic reader. But another friend whose opinions I trust didn't enjoy it at all, so I didn't know quite what to think. I finally read it this year and thankfully I really enjoyed it (it's always more fun to enjoy things I think!), and am very keen to pick up the rest of the books.
4. To Kill a MockingbirdI read this for the first time this year and absolutely loved it. It's often difficult to know how you'll feel about a book as famous as this, and it can be a bit off-putting to know that everything you're thinking about it has been thought and expressed a thousand times before. But nonetheless, I thoroughly enjoyed the experience of this book, and for me it was well worth the hype.
5. The Catcher in the RyeI wasn't sure where I would stand on this as it's so well known and so divisive. Some people love it and some absolutely hate it. I think I definitely chose the right time to pick this one up. Loved it!
What 5 books would you pick?
Share your #AMonthofFaves in the comments!