Friday 29 August 2014

Reading in Norfolk

Hello again!

I'm back from my stay in Norfolk with the family, and I have to say I've had a fantastic time! Who says holidaying in Blighty is boring!?

We were staying in a lovely little village called Wells next the Sea, in a cottage that was amply equipped with books in every room...

Just in case some of us wanted to opt for a non-TV-related activity...
In my brother's room - I don't think he made use of it...

A collection of mystery novels/spy thrillers, complete with matching covers.

There was even this English translation of a Maupassant short story collection, but sadly I didn't get round to reading it.


And this was the teensy bookshelf in my attic bedroom:


There was even a book set in beautiful Biarritz (my French year-abroad home)...

Though this doesn't look like quite my thing...

The village itself also boasted a surprising number of bookshops for its small size, including this very full, untidy-looking one:




This one was rather better organised, and had a lovely assortment of books and artworks in the window (including a large framed printout of monorail cat for some bizarre reason).





The books in this one didn't look too interesting to be honest:



But the old station had also been converted into a shop, and the window display looked lovely (though I never managed to go inside).



The lovely window display



Of course, we didn't just wander around bookshops and sit around the house perusing the reading material. We had to get out and about and make the most of what Norfolk has to offer.

We took a trip from Sheringham on an old steam train along the North Norfolk railway, or the poppy line (as they call it for some reason).

Lovely old steam train
View from the train
Getting a bit of reading time in...

We spent many an hour on the beach swimming, playing frisbee and, of course, reading.



We took yet another steam train, this one on a teeny 10 1/4 inch gauge railway line, to the quaint village of Walsingham.

Our transport...




The village was beautiful, and of course we made the compulsory stop in a café for some tea...


Some complimentary reading-matter on the windowsill.

Finally, on our last day we visited Norwich and made the most of the castle museum and gallery, as well as the cathedral.



Picked up some inspiration from the museum shop.


This building was wouldn't have looked out of place in Diagon Alley...
And of course I couldn't resist taking a picture of this beautiful book display ('Tombland' was the name of the street/area, and not a comment on the content of the books).
So there you have it! My Norfolk holiday adventure! I can highly recommend the region, especially to those of you who live in the UK. 

Unfortunately, due to all the exciting activities going on around me, I didn't get half as much reading done as I'd hoped. But reviews of the books I read will be coming soon!

What did you think of my Norfolk adventure? Have you ever been? What is your favourite holiday destination/activity (besides reading of course)? Let me know in the comments.

2 comments:

  1. Just needed to come here and say that I absolutely love your blog! And your holiday sounded fantastic! Can't wait to hear more about what you're reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!! I love yours too <3 I've been terrible about posting lately but I'm trying to get back into the swing of it so more posts soon (I hope!) Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...