Wednesday 8 October 2014

A Back-to-Bristol Book Haul

As I indicated in a recent post, autumn has well and truly arrived, which means I'm now back in beautiful Bristol! This is the city where I study (though not last year as I went abroad), and I have to say, I've really really missed it here!


I love this city so much; it's such a great mix of art, culture, student life, shopping, history, and so much more!


I've moved to a new area this year, so I'm still discovering new things every day. But of course I still go back to my favourite old haunts, and one of these is definitely the brilliant Oxfam bookshop at the top of Park Street. I love this place. It's such a gem! You can often find second-hand course books here too, since it's so near the uni. But of course I mostly just go there for fun!


Not only do they sell books (and music) very cheaply, but they also have a selection of DVDs and games, as well as some fairtrade products (chocolate, honey and coffee are my faves).

Of course, since the books are so cheap, you can buy twice as many! (Let's just not look too closely at my bank statements from now on...)


After popping into this Oxfam bookshop on my lunch break at uni, I then discovered ANOTHER ONE on my way home! Isn't this one so stylish?


So, of course, I had to pop in there too. (Don't judge me...)

Now I should probably seriously re-evaluate my spending habits, but in the meantime, let's look at the fabulous books I bought!


In the first bookshop, I went for old classics. 

These are:

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton
Lady Susan/The Watsons/Sanditon by Jane Austen (so excited to read this!!!)
and The Newcomes by William Makepeace Thackeray


This beautiful old copy of The Newcomes is probably the best looking of these books. I especially love the spine on this! And I'm definitely excited to read a lesser known book by the writer famous for Vanity Fair.

So pretty!

As you can see, I went a bit more modern in the next bookshop...


These are:

A Mere Interlude by Thomas Hardy
Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin
The Murders in the Rue Morgue by Edgar Allen Poe
A Room of One's Own and Three Guineas by Virginia Woolf
Mrs Dalloway by Virginia Woolf
and White Teeth by Zadie Smith.

Not gonna lie, I definitely chose some of these purely on the cover...


But I've heard great things about every one of these authors (though I've never read any of their work before, apart from Edgar Allen Poe).

This cover is probably my favourite:

Isn't it glorious???
But the other covers are great too!

So there you have it, my back-to-bristol book haul! And the money went to a good cause!

What do you think of my choice of books? Have you done a book haul recently? Do you have a book-buying problem? I'd love to hear about it in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...