Wednesday 27 May 2015

Exciting Announcement: Armchair BEA!

So I've decided (rather belatedly, since it starts today...) that I'm going to be participating in Armchair BEA. I've heard and read people talking about Book Expo America for a while, but sadly since I live in little old Britain and have no money, it wasn't something I ever thought I'd be able to get involved in.

But then I stumbled across a link to Armchair BEA on someone's blog (I've totally forgotten where, but if I manage to find it I'll link it in this post!), and made a spur-of-the-moment decision to participate. This might not be the best idea since I had a horrific exam this morning and the one tomorrow is set to be even worse, but hey, I've gotta do something to cheer myself up!

Fab logo designed by Amber

Apart from sounding like a lot of fun, this just seems like such a great way to get to know other bloggers and make friends as well as get a whole load of book recommendations. What's not to love?!

Today's post is supposed to be an introductory one, so I've chosen five questions from their list to introduce myself to the ABEA communtiy. Here we go!


Who are you and where are you from?

My name's Rachel and I come from Winchester in the south of England, but I currently live in Bristol.

How long have you been blogging and how did you get into blogging?

I've been book blogging on this site for nearly a year now, but I'd been writing a Year Abroad travel blog for a year before that, and had been experimenting with other blog ideas since about 2009. I was originally inspired to start sharing book reviews when I stumbled across Black, White & Read Books, which is a blog documenting one woman's attempt to read every book mentioned in the TV series Gilmore Girls. I thought it was so inspired, I just had to give book blogging a go.

What is your favourite genre and why?

I really enjoy classics, specifically older classics. I love reading through the eyes of someone from a different time and learning about their different attitudes and assumptions. Lately, though, I've started reading more modern classics and books from other cultures. I have also developed a taste for sci-fi in the last few weeks, which is something I'm also very OK with.

What book are you reading right now?

This is actually two books (and more, if you count the ones I'm in the middle of but haven't picked up in a while!), though one is very very tiny, so probably doesn't really count as a book. The first one is A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin, which I'm thoroughly enjoying but sadly can't spend as much time on as I would like (stupid exams!), and the second is The Beautifull Cassandra, which is one of the penguin little black classics featuring early writings by Jane Austen. I'm really looking forward to reviewing it soon because it is hilarious!

What are you most looking forward to reading this summer?

I'm super excited to finally read To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee (I know! Isn't it shameful that I haven't read it already??), mostly because everyone seems to be talking about it at the moment and I'm looking forward to getting involved with some juicy bookchats.


And to round it all off, here's a couple of piccies of my bookshelves. Enjoy :)



Hope you enjoyed #ABEAShelfies! Except they don't have me in them so they're actually just pictures of my bookshelves. I have a horrible cold right now and don't relish the idea of putting my face on the internet! I hope you understand :P

Let me know in the comments if you're participating too! Or just to say hi, I'm not fussy :)

8 comments:

  1. My family roots on mum's side are from Bolton, UK. I am Canadian though. :-)
    To Kill A Mockingbird was my must-read suggestion. I do hope you read it. It's unforgettable.
    Happy ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay Canada! Hello from across the pond :)
      And I'm really looking forward to reading it! I didn't want to start it while still mid-essays/exams because I wanted to devote my full attention to it. I really hope I enjoy it as much as everyone else seems to!
      Thanks for stopping by :) Happy ABEA to you too!

      Delete
  2. Hi there! I visited the UK last November. I was only in London and Cardiff though. I've visited other parts of the country on other trips but never Bristol. I'd like to tour around more.
    My Armchair BEA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cardiff is so near to Bristol but I've only been once and never saw the city properly! (shame on me)
      Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  3. I wish I could get into classics more, but I just can't seem to ever make myself read any! My shameful (I guess) book I've never read is Pride & Prejudice, so don't feel too badly about TKAM! Happy to have found your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, thanks for your comment Katie! :D I always think 'classics' is such a weird genre title because it includes such a wide range of books! I'm sure there's a classic out there that you'd love. That said, don't let anyone make you feel bad for not reading them if you don't want to! I love Pride and Prejudice but only read it for the first time last year (after years of people telling me I should :P).. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  4. lots of good titles on your shelves. I enjoy Gabriel Garcia Marquez a lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I like him a lot too. I've only read One Hundred Years of Solitude but I've got three more by him that I'd like to get to soon. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...