Monday 19 January 2015

Christmas (ish!) Bookhaul

Firstly, this is super late (woops). But, secondly, I don't really care... So hopefully no one else will either! Because I still get to show off some fabulous books to you guys. Hooray! Please let me know in the comments if you've read any of these and what you thought of them!

Right, let's start with the books my brother got me! He originally bought me a DVD that I already had, so as a replacement he got me these two lovely books from my wishlist.


Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman

I've actually already read Ocean (it was actually the first book I read in 2015!), and I can't wait to post my review and tell you my thoughts! 

These next two were from my parents, and they both came from my wishlist too:


The Princess Bride by William Goldman
The Secret Lives of Baba Segi's Wives by Lola Shoneyin

I'm super excited for both of these!

Next up, these are a few that I ordered using some Christmas money:


The Garden of Evening Mists by Tan Twan Eng
Howards End by E.M. Forster
The Giver by Lois Lowry

I've know nothing about the first one, but I was completely intrigued by the plot summary, so I can't wait to get to it! And I've heard such great things about the other two. I know The Giver is Bear Allen (at Black White and Read Books)'s favourite book, and I think there's something so amazing about reading someone else's favourite book(s)! (Maybe that's just me :P)

Anyway, here's a pretty picture of all of those in a pile ;)


Next up, I have a not-strictly-Christmas-related purchase, that I made with a giftcard that I got in exchange for the duplicate copy of Hyperbole and a Half that I got for my birthday!


Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel
Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

I dithered for such a long time and must have browsed Waterstones about fifty times before I actually settled on these two books, but I'm so glad I did! I've heard nothing but good things about these books. In fact, I actually already read Persepolis too (I finished it on the train the day I bought it!), so I look forward to posting the review for that too!

Finally, this is another book that I bought because of the plot summary (and also because it's an interesting addition to my Travel the World in Books challenge):


Aisha by Ahdaf Soueif

This book is set partly in Egypt, which is a part of the world that I am not familiar with at all, plus it got great reviews! Super excited to dive in :)

So there you go! I'm rather excited to have such lovely new books on my shelves to enjoy in 2015.

What new books did you get for Christmas? Let me know in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Great haul! :)

    I love Howards End - actually, it's the only one (so far) of Forsters that I do love!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm really hoping I'll love it too - I've heard some really great things about it and I love Forster's writing. Though I'm intrigued that you don't like his other works.Which ones have you read?

      Delete
    2. Where Angels Fear to Tread and A Room With A View - I know I'm in the minority for not loving that! I just couldn't get into it. I may try again one of these days though :)

      Delete
    3. Hmm, I loved A Room With a View when I first read it, but I can also see how it might not be for everyone. I find Forster's writing really powerful, even though I can't always connect with his characters..

      Delete
    4. Have you read Maurice? I've got that on my Classics Club list.

      Delete
    5. No I haven't! I've only read A Room With a View and A Passage to India, both of which I found really powerful reads.. I've heard good things about Maurice, though I don't know how it would appeal to a non-Forster-fan! When do you plan on reading it?

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...