Tuesday 27 January 2015

Top Ten Tuesdays - Books to Read with My Bookclub

So, for today's Top Ten Tuesday (hosted, as always, by The Broke and The Bookish), we'll be looking at:

Top Ten Books to Read with My Bookclub



Now, I don't actually belong to a bookclub, so I've decided to take it in a hypothetical sense, and choose books that I think would benefit from discussion with a group of other people (or just books that I love talking about!). 

1. Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

I know I just wrote a review of this, but I'm so intrigued to see what people think of the (almost) main character Holly Golightly. I find her so fascinating, that, although I'd be worried people might spoil my view of the book by liking it less than me (this actually happens to me and I hate it!), I'd be willing to risk it just for a great bookish discussion on the matter.

2. Look We Have Coming to Dover by Daljit Nagra



This collection of poems about the Indian immigrant perspective is something that I feel would benefit from group discussion, as I always find I get more out of poetry that way!

3. Villette by Charlotte Bronte


Having only just reviewed Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte as part of a readalong, I'm itching for more classic book discussion! I actually started reading Villette at the start of the academic year, but uni work quickly piled up and I put it down in favour of lighter and easier reads. It wasn't that the book wasn't good (quite the opposite!), but it was a book I felt deserved my full and undivided attention. I'd love to read this with a group and discuss all of its wonderfulness together!

4. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

This might be my favourite book by Agatha Christie, and it might also be her most accomplished. I'd be so interested to see if anyone managed to work out whodunnit before the big reveal.

5. The Luminaries by Eleanor Catton



This is another that I started reading last term and ended up putting down because of work commitments. Plus I had loads of other books on the go at the same time, and The Luminaries is HUGE, so I knew I wouldn't get the satisfaction of finishing it any time soon! I've heard mixed things about this book - some people absolutely adore it and others, like the flatmate I borrowed it from, were less impressed. And what better way to ensure lively discussion than picking a book that divides opinion!

6. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen



This is the last of Jane Austen's main novels that I haven't read, so I'd love to get to it soon. Plus, I know I could discuss Jane Austen for hours! And people often have quite different opinions on her characters, so I'd be interested to compare thoughts.

6. The Secret History by Donna Tartt

This is another book that I've been meaning to read and would love to have an excuse to get to! I feel like I've heard nothing but great things, but I'd still be interested to compare what I think to the opinions of other group members.

7. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee



I know a lot of people who studied this in school, but I never did. There's got be something fuelling all those classroom discussions!

8. The Man Who Was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

I first read this back when I was about 19 and working full-time in a coffee shop, and I would read it on my half-hour lunch breaks. I never wanted to go back to work afterwards because I was always so engrossed in the book! But even though I was so in awe of the amazing writing and blown away by how evocative it all was, I don't think I understood half of what was going on! This is definitely a book that would benefit from a re-read and a thorough discussion with other people.

9. Jonah's Gourd Vine by Zora Neale Hurston



I read Their Eyes Were Watching God last summer, and couldn't make up my mind what I thought of it at first. But it was a book that I couldn't stop talking about (to my mum, my friends, my boss in France), and the more I thought about it and talked about it the more I realised how much I liked it. I'm really really hoping this other novel is the same!

10. The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling

I know this is totally cliché and there probably isn't that much more to say about it that hasn't been said a million times already... But nevertheless, I don't think I'll ever get tired of talking about this series! And I'd love the chance to talk about it with a new group of people :D


So there you have it! My Top Ten Tuesday list for this week. :)

What do you think of my list? What are your top ten choices for this week? Let me know in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel :) Hope your week is going well - slightly topical given your post, I just wanted to let you know that Kirsty & I are doing a readalong again and we'd love it if you could join in! Our pick for this month is Alias Grace so do take a look and see if you'd like to participate. Take care, Susie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, another readalong! Exciting :D I'm hesitant to commit as term has just restarted and I'm trying to keep afloat in the sea of final-year madness, but if I'll definitely participate if I have time/manage to get hold of the book!

      Delete
  2. I love "And Then There Were None"! Have you read "Villette"? It's been on my list, but if it's like "Wuthering Heights", I might have to skip it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only started Villette but didn't finish... I definitely will finish at some point though as I love Charlotte Bronte <3 Quite a chunky book though and not the most action-packed, so if you're trying to whittle down your list I'd probably start with something a bit less dense! I love 'And Then There Were None' too!! I really want my own copy so I can re-read it!

      Delete
  3. I didn't study To Kill A Mockingbird at school either, but read it during the summer and IT WAS SO GOOD! I love your list!

    I have nominated you for a Liebster Award :-) you can see the nomination here: http://embrace-thedetours.blogspot.co.uk/2015/01/the-liebster-award.html

    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'm so hoping I'll feel the same when I finally read it!

      And thanks for the award nomination! It's so kind of you :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...